Virtual routes

Twenty kilometers away from Pochaiv, over the Horyn River, stretches the small town of VYSHNIVETS, first mentioned in historical sources in 1395, when Dmytro Korybut obtained these lands from Prince Vitovt, and began to build a defensive castle. Vyshnivets was the birthplace of Dmytro Baida Vyshnevetsky, the founder of the Ukrainian Cossack community. In the village he built a church, which was to become the family burial-vault. In 1603 the famous adventurer Grigoriy Otrepiev, supported by the Poles in his attempts to seize Moscow throne, visited Vyshnivets. The Polish king M. Koribut-Vyshnevecki (1640–1673) came from the Vyshnevetsky family. With time part of the Vyshnevetsky kin became Catholics, and a representative of one of the family branches, Yarema Vyshnevetsky, “appeasing” the Cossacks and peasants, drowned Ukraine in blood during Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s uprising. In 1640 he started construction of the great castle, the late-baroque palace and Carmelite monastery (1644, architect J. Dapras).

In 1672 the estate was burnt down by the Turks. In the early 18 th century the next owner Mihal Servaciy (1680–1744) revived it and turned it into a magnificent residence. According to his contemporaries’ recollections, his burial became the richest ceremony of its kind in the history of Rzeczpospolita. Forty priests served Requiem. Due to the fact that Mihal died leaving no heirs, the Vyshnevetsky family coat of arms was broken over his grave as a token of the end of the kin. In 1744 the manor passed over to his close relatives, the Mniszech. The furniture collection and 600 pictures were enriched with the famous banquet room decorated with forty thousand Netherlands’ tiles. Now one of those stoves decorates a hall in the royal palace of Krakow. In 1852 Count Andrzej Mniszech moved to Paris taking along the most valuable things. The owners that followed didn’t care much for the manor. In 1920 the Bolshevik army robbed the palace. Reconstruction was carried out after the design of architect-modernist V. Gorodetsky. But in 1944 it was destroyed again. Beside the palace survive the remains of the two-terrace park, where six fountains stood in the past (architect D. Minkler).